C - Cento

Before we get into the poetry form for C, I just want to mention that I may be having a problem getting my comments on your blog to post.  I may, or they may be posting fine.  I have been getting many emails notifying me that my comments are blocked.  But, I see them when I revisit the blog, so they may be posting after all.  At any rate, if you think I am not visiting any A-Z blogs and commenting, I am!  I am also enjoying many of them. 


Cento

From the Latin word for "patchwork," the cento (or collage poem) is a poetic form made up of lines from poems by other poets.  A Cento is composed of only lines from other sources, not just a line or two.

My Cento is comprised of lines from 21 different poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay.  A list of the poems is at the bottom of the page.   I found this form to be a lot of fun to write. 

 

April

Spring is here; and so ‘tis spring!

I will set a barrel

out to catch the rain,

for rain it hath a friendly sound.

At dawn from my damp garden

I will plant bergamot. 

We will set it out to grow.

I will touch a hundred flowers,

marigolds around the step

and all the flowers that in the springtime grow.

There will be rose and rhododendron,

lilac, pink, blue.

I let my garden grow.

So wide shall be the garden-walk,

a gateless garden, and an open path.

Here is a place for me to lie

in this field we wander through

where the tall mullein

stands up so sturdy,

heavy with bees, a sunny sound.

Cat-birds call

and here again, the butterflies

blossom in the air,

blue, green, blue.

 

Oh, the things I haven’t seen and the things I haven’t known!

And what did I see I had not seen before?

All that I really love,

as there are flowers and you and song.

Lines used from the following poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay -

Renascence, Rosemary, Afternoon on a Hill, The Little Ghost, Doubt no More Than Oberon, Kin to Sorrow, Three Songs of Shattering, Blight, Weeds, The Singing-Woman From the Wood’s Edge, Song of a Second April, Spring, Elaine, Elegy Before Death, Memorial to D.C. III Chorus, Journey, Mariposa, The Blue-Flag in the Bog, To Kathleen, Eel Grass, Wild Swans, Pastoral, untitled with first line Mindful of you the sodden earth in spring

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Fun, but I guess it's more difficult to find the perfect line written by others than just writing by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps keeping a notepad nearby while reading poetry, and jotting down interesting lines to use later would make it easier.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this one is fun! And you did an amazing job with it! I can't believe those were separate poems :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I liked doing it a lot. I have a little paperback of her poems, so sat and wrote down interesting lines. Easier, I think, to stick to the one poet. The lines of just colors I used for flowers were really the colors of a dead friend's dresses she won't wear again.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I hadn't heard of this type of poetry. Very cool - it flowed beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan