W - Waka

 

 


The Waka is a 5-line Japanese poem which is sometimes confused with the tanka.  Both have a 5/7/5/7/7 syllable structure, however the waka's lines are arranged in a particular way.  The first 2 lines make up one piece, the second 2 lines another, then the final line can be part of the second group, or stand on its own. 

Sunlit Garden 

 

The tiny green sprouts

struggle though the hardened soil.

 

Sitting in the sun

I watch the goldfinches drink.

 

The cat jumps up for a nap.

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Once again, a form I was not familiar with. I like the suddenness in the last line :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cat jumping up is sudden too! I wasn't familiar with it until looking for a W form. I think X is the only one I had to do something else with.

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of this! I love poetry with somewhat strict guidelines because otherwise I feel lost writing it.

    - Allison (https://lightningflashx.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point! Having specific "rules" makes it easier for some, other like free verse.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan