O - Ovi or Ovee


Ovi or Ovee is a form from India which was commonly used in the folk-songs and narrative poems of the 12th century, and is still used today.  There are two forms, literary and women's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovi_(poetry)

Ovi is written in 4 line stanzas, any number of stanzas.  

8/8/8/less than 8

lines 1, 2, 3 in each stanza rhymed, line 4 unrhymed  

Some use word count instead of syllables, lines 1-3 having 8 words, line 4 with 4 words. 

image public domain - pxhere
The Mouse Family

 

I looked around the garden green

And not a fruit or veggie seen

But in the mud a trampled bean 

The garden gate wide open

 

A gate that opens to a road

Which leads us to a mouse abode

If they had asked, I’d have bestowed  

Instead their thieving rodents

 

I’ll send a bill for missing peas

and for the mess, the cleaning fees

with payment prompt it will appease,

although I’ll miss my harvest

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

 

Comments

  1. Haha, nice! :) In our garden, it was the hedgehogs and the gerbils...

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hedgehogs I can see, but gerbils? Where did you live to have gerbils in the garden? How exciting! I haven't had mice, but at least one rat liked the gourds and tomatoes. I like rats, so I shared. Too many and I wouldn't have been so kind!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan