X - X, the Unknown

Here we are at X, the letter everyone, including me, dreads in the A to Z Challenge!  

 I discarded this idea!  Although it does illustrate how vexing X is!

Xerxes

Irks mes

After the poem below, X, the Unknown, I have explained what the X meant in some of the lines. 

 

X marks the spot.

X signs your name,

or a mystery number

to find.

 

X looks inside.

X half who we are.

Lovers know what it means,

for X is what is signed.

 

X can be ten,

X can be Christ.

X can be ratings

for movies or sugar.

 

X, The Unpopular,

X, the Unknown.

However you put it,

X is a booger.

 ©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

 

3 – algebra, solve for X

5 – X-ray

6 – Sex chromosome X (XX and XY)

8 – X as a kiss symbol

9 – X = 10 In Roman numbers

10 – X as in Xmas for Christmas

11 - 12 – X rated movies are “adult only” and sugar’s degree of grinding is indicated by X’s.  X is grainy, XX is finer.  What I know as “powdered sugar,” or “icing sugar” is 10X.  

 

 

Comments

  1. Jamie here. Blogger has not been allowing me to sign to comment, hence why I have not been commenting lately.
    I like this use of the letter X. Very clever. Also, XXX is used to mean "liquor" in cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having problems too. They were asking me to approve my own comments! Now, I have to be Anonymous too.

      Delete
  2. I remember dreading this letter the first time I participated in this challenge. My theme was emotions. I was ready to give up....and then it came to me, XOXO. You did a great job with the letter! Well, we are almost to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 2019 I used X for Kisses! Yes, almost there. I wish Blogger wouldn't be acting up and putting me as Anonymous and requiring me to approve my own comments on my own blogs!

      Delete
  3. This is a great poem! Love how you used the letter in so many ways.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan