E - Ekphrasis

Merriam-Webster defines ekphrastis as "a literary description of or commentary on a visual work of art."  I have chosen for my ekphrastic poem an untitled watercolor by Eugene McNabb, a Canadian artist, painted in 1977.   To me it seems to depict clam diggers. 

watercolor painting by Eugene McNabb in author's collection

Clamming

While I’ve never been clamming,

I have seen the holes in the sand,

where they'd stuck their necks out to breathe.

Quite an obvious sign to

“DIG HERE!”

 

I’ve seen clammers too.

Metal pails and shovels,

while I played in the waves,

and looked for clam holes,

or broken crab claws.

 

Back in the 60’s we’d stop at Ortisi’s,

just a shack,

by the foggy cold shore,

to warm ourselves up with

white paper cups of steamy clam broth.

 

These days, I prefer

a good clam chowder.

Boston, please (never Manhattan!),

served in a sourdough bowl,

eaten at Fisherman’s Wharf.

 

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Yet another form of poetry that's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do A to Z every month of years and never cover them all!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful imagery, I love how much I´m learning from your blog.
    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/06/e-is-for-euthanasia/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan