C - Cats (A Line of Cats)

The inspiration for this poem came to me one morning recently as I opened my bedroom door to find my two cats impatiently waiting for their breakfast (only the dog gets the privilege of sleeping with me).  They saw me, turned tail, and ran down the hall towards the kitchen.  My brain must have been busy thinking of my favorite The Rolling Stones song, Paint it Black, because I said aloud, "I see a line of cats, and they're all fuzzy black."  

I noticed that most of the lines in the song were 6 syllables (syllable counter) so arranged mine to all be exactly 6.  I also followed the song's rhyme pattern of lines 2 and 4 rhyming in each quatrain (4 line stanza).

Baby Cat

Benny







 

 

With sincere apologies to The Rolling Stones: 

A Line of Cats 


I see a line of cats

and they're all fuzzy black.

Running down the hallway

and never looking back.

 

I get to the kitchen,

they're sitting by the dish,

meowing like they're starving,

"Food NOW," their only wish.

 

I see the cats look up

and turn their heads away.

It's not the flavor food

they'd hope to get today.

 

They pass with tails upraised,

I see one give a glare.

Former strays I took in,

ungrateful furry pair!

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. So true of cats! I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relatable with our furry friends. Mine starts meowing when the breakfast time approaches, and now I have "Paint it Black" playing inside my head. :D
    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/04/c-is-for-carousel/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan