V - View of a Former Age

NaPoWriMo Day 21 prompt:

...write a poem in which you first recall someone you used to know closely but are no longer in touch with, then a job you used to have but no longer do, and then a piece of art that you saw once and that has stuck with you over time. Finally, close the poem with an unanswerable question.

 

Lauri,

my best friend.

So long ago, I can’t remember

why we stopped even so much as talking.

I saw her parents in Liberty House,

outside the elevator,

while I was working.

Her father was blind by then,

diabetes,

and waiting for a guide dog.

This was around the time of the fair,

when I was struck by

Storm over the Acropolis,

a student painting.

More than 45 years ago,

the impression made still with me.

Remembering,

 I wonder…

is Lauri even how she

spelled her name?

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#napowrimo2022 #napowrimo22 #napowrimoday21 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan