N - Naga-Uta (Hoping to See a Rainbow)

 N – Naga-Uta,

Naga-uta is Japanese for “long song.” As a poem, the lines alternate the syllable count of 5-7, ending with a last 7 syllable line.  It is also called a choka.


Hoping to See a Rainbow 


I awake early, 

the sun still hidden by trees.

A pink horizon 

through the bare winter branches.

Does it foretell rain,

that pink sky in the morning?

I slip on my robe.

Purple.  I have always thought

it made me look fat. 

Like a purple polar bear.

The cats are hungry, 

whining at the bedroom door.

Once fed, they're asleep

again.  My dog waits for me

to dress, go outside.   

The sun higher, clouds scarlet.

I feel the first drop, 

raise my eyes into the sky

hoping to see a rainbow. 

©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan