Black Water

 Tanka Tuesday Poetry Challenge No. 294

Ekphrastic Poetry: prompt photo from Lisa at Tao Talk

My choice of syllabic form: zappai and rictameter

Rictameter is a form invented by cousins in the 1990's for a weekly contest of their own invented "order" inspired by Dead Poet's Society.

* 9 lines

* 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2

 * first and last lines use the same word

*  rhymed or unrhymed.

© Lisa Fox  

deep waters run still

unknown things, slimy, ancient

lay in wait, patient

 

Beware.

Observe the gate. 

Black waters harbor souls.

Ancient beings, cursed and cold.

Ravenous, insatiable and greedy,

jowls oozing in expectation.

Memories of feasting

once, eons past.

Beware.

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved


#tankatuesdayno290 #tankatuesday #rictameter #rictameterpoetry #inventedpoetryform #syllabicpoetry #syllabicpoem #zappai #ekphrasis #ekphrasticpoetry #poetryprompt #photoprompt #writingprompt

Comments

  1. Lisa this poem definitely gave me the chills as I read it. I thought of those beasties in the water, waiting for another feast. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a phobia about black water, or that unusual turquoise from minerals in the water in abandoned quarries! I don't see those in person, but still, I hate even seeing them in photos! So deep and unnatural.

      Delete
  2. You've captured a very ominous feeling. (Kerfe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dark feeling of your words, Lisa. This turned out well. I like that you recognized that your 17 syllable poem was micro poetry. It shows we know what we are writing with these forms. 💜🎃

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan