What's With Horses?

Poetics: Running With Horses

Dora at dVerse offers the following prompt. 

"Our poetics prompt is simple: horses.

Use horse imagery in any way you like, either as the focus of your poem or in passing. In allusion or metaphor. An ekphrastic. Or just a mention will do."


Why is it little girls want a horse,

is it part of their DNA?

They play with the figures

and pour over the books,

and know the roan from the bay!


Herds of Breyer fill their shelves;

their minds on horses all day.

The only gift they want 

Santa to bring

is a model of dapple grey!


They nag and they plead

for a chestnut to ride,

or a pretty buckskin mare.

A golden coat, a mane of black,

and a bridle made of rawhide! 


They paint-by-number

mares and foals,

then gallop around the yard.

At breakfast time they want their oats

raw when served in bowls! 


Every year at the county fair

it's straight to the pony rides, 

and off to the livestock barns.

A gaggle of girls gather to gawk

and pet the horses' smooth sides!


Yes, little girls and horses

are made for each other.

But, Daddy always says "no," 

Mother agrees to her daughter's dismay. 

So, she vows to ask Grandmother!


©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Lisa, Every little detail of this poem made me smile in recollection! Truly this yearning for a horse or pony must be "part of their DNA" since it seems almost universal. I love your use of meter and rhyme, a cantering pace that deftly develops the sentiment and paints the scenes, and the closing lines are at once precious and filled with humor. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except asking my grandmother, all those other things are my childhood! I saved every penny I was given, birthday money, allowance, etc. for a horse. My mother began to worry I'd save enough! The photos are things in my current collections of stuff!

      Delete
  2. This poem is so much fun. I remember the strong affection for horses amongst my childhood female friends so well. Those of them lucky enough to have a horse were envied greatly. Thanks for stimulating the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, I believe, since I was one of those girls! Asking Grandmother is a great idea--ha! Mine probably would have given me one if we'd have had the space. I so enjoyed this--made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful write! Love the rhymes and the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asking grandmother is always the way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Morrigan

Untitled Golden Shovel

Crow and Moon - Five Very Brief Poems