One Last Peach

 Mindlovemisery's Menagerie 

Sunday Confessionals - Autumn Season

"...share your Autumnal themed or inspired creations: be they poems, stories, tellings, photographs, events, artwork – old or new."

I welcome Autumn with open arms.


With open arms

I reach for the last peach

on the dying tree.

One last peach.

One last taste of summer.

A summer spent in sorrow,

as will the autumn,

and winter too,

entombed in shrouds of snow.

Again, in spring,

no more the season of refreshment and

rebirth, as

yearly circles pass

in never-changing pattern.

A tree should live much longer,

much longer surely than a man.

Yet, here we are.

One dead.

One dying.

I cradle the perfect fruit,

warmed by the waning sun,

in my palm. 

I know it’s not so perfect

on the inside.

Nothing is.

Eat around the edges,

enjoy, but not too deeply

.

Like everything in life,

this peach will disappoint me.

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#mindlovemiserysmenagerie #autumnpoetry #autumnpoem 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan