Mavis Takes a Stand

MLMM had an interesting post a few days ago.  It had to do with bloggers tackling multiple prompts in the same post.  That isn't something I have much experience doing, maybe once or twice, with only two different prompts if they happened to overlap without my pushing them.  Then, this past wee some of the prompts I regularly join, or used to join, seemed to be daring me to give it a try!  So, a record for me, here is a poem written for FOUR different prompts!  

The photo prompt from Sunday Muse #229

Words prompts flat/hilly and fresh/stale in red.

Friday Writings #46: Different Points of View

Mindlovemisery's Menagerie 

Wordle #289 - prompt words in purple 

 

I ain’t gonna do it!

I ain’t gonna do it!

I ain’t gonna do it no more!

 

A marriage as stale

as sailor’s hard tack,

the fizz of our love has gone flat.

 

Didn’t you notice

our lives gettin’ hilly,

your treating me like a doormat?

 

A fresh start’s what you wanted,

that’s only for you,

for me it’s all the same work.

 

My travels are over,

from this very point on,

I deserve so much more than a jerk.

 

The cookin’

and cleanin’

and scrubbin’ your clothes,

I ain’t gonna do it no more!

 

Mavis, now listen!

You get right back here!

Who will cook my plate?

 

I can’t sew a button,

or sweep the floor.

You are my greatest helpmate.

 

Who’ll pluck the chickens,

or slop the hogs?

Who’ll hang the laundry to dry?

 

My dear blessed mother,

always so kind,

will never understand why.

 

The neighbors will snigger,

the parson will judge,

if I can’t hold onto my wife.

 

My brothers will rib me,

plus, worse than all that,

my friends will hear of our strife!


©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#mindlovemiserysmenagerie #MLMM #Wordle#289 #MLMMWordle #poetryprompt #sundaymuse#229 #fridaywritings #writingprompt #wordpromptpoetry #rhymingpoetry  #ekphrasis #ekphrasticpoetry #ekphrasticpoem

 


 

Comments

  1. You did a spectacular job multi-prompting Lisa! I can feel this one and relate from earlier days in my life. You captured that image perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a great photo to work with.

      Delete
  2. She's made a wise decision. Thank goodness I'm a singleton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just the patriarchy of it all but the jackassery, and you lay it all out in this cleverly written dialogue. I bet he didn't get the last word though lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. No, he wouldn't get the last word!

      Delete
  4. I am thrilled you “went for it!” Well done, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone's gonna have to change their ways methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mavis certainly is changing her ways. I doubt her soon-to-be ex will though, he'll just find some other woman to toil for him.

      Delete
  6. Jules (from MLMM) I enjoyed this ditty of freedom! When it ain't workin' get a goin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you managed it like a pro. The flow feels natural. I can't stop sniggering at the so-called-problems of the spouse who thinks marriage guarantees them a maid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in these more enlightened (so we think) days it happens far too often. Now the women work outside the home and are still expected to do it all at home too.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how brilliant! I want to sing it to a good old Country tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's funny! Now I can't stop wondering what it would sound like!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a song. Great dialogue, and you nailed all the prompts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't think it's apt to work out that way again!

      Delete
  10. Skillful breakdown of the relationship through the eyes of the two partners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad, though funny. I thought of tunes but none was a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan