Two Instructors

Poets and Storytellers United

Friday Writings #2: Always Learning 

Our new Friday Writings format means we are open to pieces on any topic, but if you’d like a little something to prompt your muse, I’d like to suggest drawing inspiration from a subject you studied at school.   

I've always loved words.  I was weaned on the poetry of A. A. Milne.  My father wouldn't read me Now We Are Six until I was six, and what anticipation that was!   Later, my oldest was accustomed to hearing me call out, "Be a good girl, Jane!" as he stepped out the door.  I still leave "Bisy.  Backson" notes on the kitchen counter. (See below for links)

Ms. Brown was my college online poetry class professor.  Mrs. Buckette taught my high school creative writing class.  After she retired she went on to publish several novels, belying my father's "Those who can do, those who can't teach," a saying quite unlike him.

Ms. Brown

Never take a class in poetry

if the text is the professor’s own.

You will never meet her standards

without parroting her style.

 

The lesson learned?

Always give the teacher

just what the teacher wants.

 

Mrs. Buckette

Mrs. Buckette taught

haiku must allude only

not spell out seasons

I’ve striv’d to obey that rule

these past forty-seven years

 

(She'd be gravely disappointed in that tanka!)

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Can you believe I saved some of my class work from 1975?  Neither can I!  I think my college poetry is lost on some hard drive.  


Bisy. Backson

The Good Little Girl  (Be a good girl, Jane)

 

 

Comments

  1. I love your pieces of class work! And I think the lesson learned from Mrs Brown can be widely applied – which is a great shame for real learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I knew a young man who, in college, failed creative writing three times. He refused to change his writing to what the teacher was looking for. Now, that was just silly. Give her what she wanted and move on!

      Delete
  2. The contrasting teaching methods! Mrs. Brown seems familiar
    Is is nice that you kept some of your work and to see the comment of "Very Good!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I thought Mrs. Buckette was a tough teacher, and she was. But, I enjoyed that class a lot. I actually looked her up online and may drop her a note and let her know I still think of her!

      Delete
  3. I love the tanka so very much, Lisa. And your note made me laugh so hard that my Piano Man ran into the room to make sure I wasn't choking. I wonder if Mrs. Buckette would appreciate the old bit of writing wisdom that says that we should learn the rules well so that we know how to break them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think she would! She was very strict to the "rules." A very proper, serious German woman. At least in class, as I remember. I think she intimidated me!

      Delete
  4. I don't know about poetry but I have learned that the key to a good grade in a philosophy class is to always agree with the teacher and if the teacher claims that he doesn't want agreement then you need to agree twice as hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, philosophy. I never took it, but my daughter did and it was another case of the instructor's own book.

      Delete
  5. Ha! I like to write the word "autumn" in my haiku frequently. Mrs. Buckette would find me to be be a pain in the hindquarters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Never take a class in poetry

    if the text is the professor’s own.

    You will never meet her standards

    without parroting her style."

    that's the definition of every writing symposium and MFA program out there... very well said, i had to laugh, and cry =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all you can do! Just give them what they want. In most cases all you need to do is pass and get it done with.

      Delete
  7. Oh I think she would love every word of your post today!!!! I do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan