Make Mine Hot Fudge!

 

MindLoveMisery's Menagerie 

Wordle #280

 

Prompt words in red.

Asked if I want a sundae,

I always answer “yes!”

Anyone who offers

is surely one to bless!

 

Sauce it up with caramel?

NO! That always tastes like sludge!

I want a pool of chocolate,

make mine with sweet hot fudge!

 

My thanks go out to Clarence*

who loved the sticky stuff,

served in tiny pitchers,

warmed up just enough.

 

Growing up I always had my hair in a Pixie cut until age 13.  I don’t recall making that choice. It never occurred to me to question it; even as so many of my friends had long hair in braids or pulled back in hair clips shaped like butterflies.  No, I always had a Pixie.  Whenever it grew a bit shaggy for my mother’s taste, she’d hustle me down to Capwell’s beauty salon.  I don’t recall a thing about the salon, however, I have vivid memories of the “afterward.”    Accessible from the department store’s main floor was Compton’s Cafeteria**, where my mother would buy me a hot fudge sundae.  Did she buy herself one?  I have no idea; I was too busy enjoying my treat to notice!

 ©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨     🍨

*Clarence Clifton (C. C.) Brown is credited with creating the first hot fudge sundae in his Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, ice cream parlor in 1906.  Certainly, hot fudge sauce existed long before that, as it's just under-cooked fudge.   C. C. would serve his sundaes with a little side pitcher of hot fudge.  Coincidentally, just a few days ago I read a mystery novel set in '80's Hollywood where a character visited C. C. Brown's, had a sundae, and mentioned the side of extra fudge! 

**Until I wrote this, and became curious of the cafeteria’s history enough to research it, I was unaware that Compton’s Cafeteria was a chain in the San Francisco area (mine was in an East Bay suburb), and the S. F. Tenderloin location was the scene of a riot in 1966 over police harassment of transgender patrons.  To discourage drag queens and trans women the management continually called in the police, who would arrest the patrons for “female impersonation.” They'd even arrest those wearing shirts with the buttons on the "wrong" side.  Naturally, I knew none of this then, I was 9 years old, and wearing boys plaid flannel shirts with the buttons on the "wrong" side! 

 

 



Comments

  1. Mindlovemisery here. Yes to Sundaes for me as well! Interesting and also sad to hear about the history of discrimination. We could learn from children. To appreciate the beauty, the simple pleasures, the open, flexible mind where people are people regardless of color, gender, sexual preference, religion, gender identification etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan