The Wrong Choice

 Friday Fictioneers 

Photo Prompt

PHOTO PROMPT © Roger Bultot

100 words

When I fantasied being a mother, I wasn’t expecting I’d still be living like this.  But, as my mother always says, “It is what it is.”   No choice now.  I made that choice nine months ago.  Now I have to live with it.  No, now we both have to live with it, me and Melli.  At least I won that contest.  It would have been better if I’d won the cash, but at least I was able to sell the  playpen for $50.  Too bad that couple left me the trash.  They looked at me like I was trash too!  

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

For most of us, this is an image of somewhere we wouldn't want to live, and that is how the narrator of my poem sees it, although I believe she was raised in such conditions. But, we need to realize it's more than many have, and they would see it as a blessing. 

Comments

  1. As you say, at least it's a roof over her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading quite a few other pieces it hit me that most of us were being quite judgemental about living conditions. Maybe it's being more aware of "privilege" now that it's talked about.

      Delete
  2. It's true that it is all about perspective and having a place is better than being on the street. It's also true that we all judge too quickly and forget to put ourselves in the others' shoes. Thought-provoking story. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lisa,

    Some choices we make and others are made for us. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. I would like it if anyone unhappy with choices made or assigned would be able to change their minds and opt for something new.

      Delete
  4. She's looking for the positive. That's a great way to FIND the positive! Many women have started this way, and made their lives successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have. They may have been successful no matter what choices they made. If they can be successful under less than ideal conditions, they have something others don't. But, that's what's so great about having and making choices! No one size fits all, and we usually survive even the wrong ones. Here, I see wrong choices made.

      Delete
  5. It's better than living in a homeless shelter or under the highway, especially with a baby. Sounds like her parents weren't much support for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think they were. I imagine her mom was pretty much what she is, a young single mom on her own. No sympathy for her daughter though, maybe she made it clear she wasn't going to help if she followed in her footsteps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan