These Woods

Over at dVerse, Björn has provided an optional mini-prompt, a line from Emily Dickinson's poem of the same name, "Frequently the wood are pink —" and/or this image Björn created using AI.


If frequently the wood are pink,

take off your glasses

don’t you think?


If frequently the wood are blue,

check your eyes,

they aren’t that hue.


If frequently the wood are red,

turn the other way

instead.


It frequently the wood are green,

all things are perfect,

as they’ve been.


II

 Frequently I’ve roamed this wood,

these trails narrow,

dark and good.


Upon this fallen oak I’ve sat,

thick with lichen,

as a mat.


To gaze above at clear blue sky,

and utter nothing,

but a sigh.   


©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved 



Comments

  1. The repetition and rhyming work well here. I like how you circled back to blue sky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the humor... I think there are shades that are not green, especially in spring and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, even pink! I have a little plum with pink tinged leaves in autumn!

      Delete
  3. I Iike your rhyming, it makes the reading more poetic minded. I also like the shape, that worked good for you.
    Thank you for peeking in on me. I would have loved to write for this prompt, Bjorn does a good job. But I do my writing mostly on weekends, Friday through Sunday and keep two blogs. This one you genrally see and a meme blog hosted by two gentlemen. We are down to about four steadys, a few years ago, before the main man there were more that I generally could read. We go through the alphabet twice a year, posting every friday. I might have dropped also but my friends, family, and other relatives read it without commenting. Occasionaly I do hear from them on Facebook, there I post that one, of the former week, once a week.
    Oh yes, occasionaly I post a poem that I especially like on the other blog.
    You guys do a good job with dVerse, please keep it up and going.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The simplicity and rhyming are charming; it feels like the start of a children's book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan