24 Seasons: No. 17 - Poet's Choice

  24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, No. 17

 Part III: Early Cold (January 5 – 20) Shokan 小寒 – Poet’s Choice

"This week’s TankaTuesday challenge invites poets to choose kigo words from a past season or the Early Cold challenge. The poetry form and season are open, but a kigo word must be included. Optional art prompt provided."

I wrote one haiku and two tankas.  The kigo words are in red. 

Winter in the Country, by George Henry Durrie


winter morning chores

sweet aroma of grass hay

cattle’s soft warm breath


the plough in the shed

dreaming this winter morning

clear dawn sky, cold light

star sparkles – another plough*

above my head to the east


©Lisa Smith Nelson

steam from the saw mill

reaches for the waning moon

pink sky a portent

of cold clouds before mid-day

of barn cats chasing their tails**


©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved 

*The Plough is another name for the Big Dipper.

**It's said that barn cats will chase their own tails when snow is on the way.

#tankatueday #haiku #tanka #syllabicpoetry #kigo #japanesepoetry #tankatuesday24seasons #tankatuesdaypoetrychallenge 



Comments

  1. Good capture of the season and enjoyed the afterword info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the connection in the second one, the earth mirroring the celestial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, this is a fabulous haiku, tanka, and another tanka. This series reads like a story. I love how you used plough, and the information about the barn cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Colleen! I've been seeing the Big Dipper, or Plough, on the rare clear nights lately when I take the dog out for his last pit stop.

      Delete
  4. A fun read, Lisa. My favorite line was ". . . barn cats chasing their tails." I've seen dogs but not cats. I learned a new word, 'Plough', thanks And thanks very much for coming over to read of my school in a stormy day poem.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my dog chases, and catches, his own tail, but the cats never try. We don't get much snow, so that could be the reason!

      Delete
  5. These are awesome, Lisa! And I love the fun fact about the barn cats.

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these. I’d never heard that about barn cats chasing their tails. Neat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan