An Inauspicious Beginning - January 1, 2024

Kim at dVerse has given us the following prompt for today's Haibun Monday.

"No matter how you feel about the first day of 2024, I would like you to write about it. Have you set your heart on a new beginning, a move, a relationship, a hobby, etc.? Are you resolved to being stuck indoors until spring or have you been / are you going for a New Year’s Day walk? Is the first day of the New Year a time for reflection, or are you nursing a hangover and just need a little peace and quiet? Aim to write no more than three tight paragraphs, followed by a traditional haiku that includes reference to the season." 


I stayed up until midnight last night.  Nothing unusual about that, it's something I usually do.  Have some snacks, watch the ball drop from New York, belatedly, as I'm in Oregon, then off to bed well past my "bedtime."  

Too early I'm up, cranky and tired.   The cats kept me awake, coming and going, coming and going, knocking things off the bedside table.  It's only when the dog panics at loud noises and refuses to come to bed that my door is open to the cats.  While the dog's away, the cats will play.  I just wish they didn't play with me, mess with my sleep.

After pet chores, it's finally "me" time.  Get some coffee, settle down under the afghan to do the Wordle, compare scores with friends, play some games, read some news.  Not to be. 

foggy new year day
longing to go back to bed
cat vomits breakfast

©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved



Comments

  1. Cats do like to keep us on their timetable, don't they? I enjoyed the "slice of life" feel to this haibun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, seeing a prompt about my day, that was how I was feeling about it! I kept telling the cats "I hate you." I don't mean it of course!

      Delete
  2. Not having pets, I would usually wake up early even without cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Benny wakes up at the first sign of dawn. He's big and loud, rattles the door knob and throws himself against it.

      Delete
  3. While reading the first paragraph, I imagined it was the cat talking.🤭 It worked perfectly! A relatable read. One of my cats likes to vomit his breakfast, too.🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It does read as if Benny wrote it! He looks a bit worse for wear in the photo too! Thanks for the laugh! My other cat is long haired, and hacks up hairballs. She gets daily "goop" to help it come up smoothly, but she makes such a terrible noise every time, and it stinks!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the dVerse Poets Pub, Lisa, I’m glad you joined us. I relate to your haibun, having two cats of my own, who sleep on the bed with me, one on my chest or hip and the other on my feet. It’s great in cold weather but not so comfortable when it’s hot! Funnily enough, I’m not long up with my cup of tea, daily solitaire challenge and Wordle! I agree with Dora about the 'slice of life' feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they only stayed asleep, but one of them is up and down. I feel a bit bad since they rush in when they see the door open, eager to sleep with me (I didn't know they were so fond of my company!). I do two solitaires daily, both Mobilityware, regular and spider. Word Cookies. My favorite is Bubble Pop, but only the Bitmango one.

      Delete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! "Cat vomits breakfast" is a routine part of my life, as Fiona is quite finicky. You made me laugh out loud.

    Sending good juju and empathy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can be the most irritating pets! Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. No, I KNOW one of mine does. That's him in the photo, Benny.

      Delete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! "Cat vomits breakfast" is a routine part of life for me, as Fiona is quite finicky. You made me laugh out loud.

    Sending good juju and empathy... (apologies if this comment was posted twice; it seemed to go into the ether).

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I have cats Lisa, so I totally understand. Let's hope this year brings you more sleep. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have pets so I loved this peek into your life with cats. They sound awdorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you and your beloved menagerie! Haha ... same time frame as you to watch the ball drop but with no cats. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan