Waiting

Poets and Storytellers United

Friday Writings #85: First Lines

 "For today’s optional prompt, I invite you to write poetry or prose inspired by a fantastic first line. One that hooked you. One that lingers..." 

photo:

I’m sitting here where you left me hardly more than a week ago.*


A week of year-long days,

waiting in this place I broke my heart.

I come in hopes that one of these long days

I’ll find you sitting here.

Waiting for me.

Perhaps that’s why I come,

to be here first.

You’ll see me here and know

I never meant for you to stay away

although I told you go.

I’ll be sitting here, 

waiting. 


Hope to see you soon. 

 ©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

* First line of Cold Flat Junction, by Martha Grimes.  It was published five years after Hotel Paradise, the first in the Emma Graham series.  So, five long years have past for the reader, yet for Emma it's only been a little over a week.  

 


Comments

  1. "A week of year-long days,
    waiting in this place I broke my heart."

    These opening lines are wonderful, and every alluring. I like what it says of time, relationships, heartbreak...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your kind comments mean much to me.

      Delete
  2. Most intriguing, and it seems to me you've captured the emotion beautifully. Now I'll have to hunt up both those books! (And probably the rest of the series too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved that first line. I will say, I took great poetic license with it!

      Delete
  3. Love what you did with the challenge! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you certainly capture the emotions and longing and hope very well. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel the emotions in this one. I've read some Martha Grimes books. She is a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until recently. Her last few Richard Jury's are like someone else wrote them. I wasn't kind in reviewing on Good Reads! The Emma Graham's are so different you wouldn't know she wrote both series.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan