Make Mine a Hopper - Dectina Refrain

 Tanka Tuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 330

Ekphrastic Poetry

"This week, using the painting below as your inspiration, please write either a syllabic poetry form or a freestyle poem, including a syllabic form (both on the same post)."

Wivenhoe Park, by John Constable 

My ten line poem would ordinarily be called an etheree, however the last line repeats the first four lines, making it a dectina refrain.  Both the etheree and the dectrina refrain are invented forms. 


You

paid how

much for this

pastoral scene?

Constable, you say?

It should be Picasso

at that price. Or a Warhol

would be far cheaper.  Send it back.

You wasted my money once again.

You paid how much for this pastoral scene?

 

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

As you can see, I am not a fan of Constable!  My son summed him up well this morning with, "It looks like a jigsaw puzzle."  Well, to each his own, I know he sells for incredible amounts of millions of U.S. Dollars and is loved by many.  

This, of course, is not an Edward Hopper, however it has reminded some of a Hopper.  That's probably why it's one of the favorites in my collection. 


#tankatuesdayno330 #dectrinarefrain #syllabicpoetry #syllabicpoem #tenlinepoem #poetryprompt #edwardenriquez #edwardenriquezpainting 

Comments

  1. LOL, Lisa. I scoured the web, searching for a "summer" painting. I know our taste is all different. I got a chuckle out of your poem. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it amused you! I didn't want to skip the prompt just because I wasn't a fan of the art. I think I'm also tired of reading so many British novels where the old families have a Constable on the wall, and go into how old great-great so-and-so commissioned it. He didn't paint nearly as many as their are Constables in novels!

      Delete
  2. I let the museums spend the big bucks on art, then all may enjoy whatever strikes their fancy. I like the Constable painting it feels like I could walk right into it. I also like the image you chose of one in your collection. It feels summery as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine would probably feel summery, it's a town in Mexico with a nice climate. Not too hot in summer, and nice 70s in winter.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Lisa! I'd never heard of a 'dectina' before - thank you for introducing me to this form! and yours is just perfect (and humorous to boot)!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan