Cloud Giants

Tanka Tuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 314

This week's challenge is to "write a shadorma, or series of shadorma, using three to five of the random words provided.

Words: Scale, fish, month, soup, smile, sticks, slave, property, songs, brushes, rock, disease, shade, cloud, giants, polish, wing, approval, spring, grape, books, comparison, walk, front, hot

I have written four, which sort of tell a story of a sunny spring day interrupted by rain.  I will insist that "giants" is two syllables, even as the "official" syllable counter shows it one.



I

I sip soup

in the company

of bird songs.

Spring arrived!

I smile in my approval

of this warm spring day.


II

Cloud Giants

roll across blue skies.

Welcome rain

gently falls.

Birds trill songs of approval,

thanks for spring showers.


III

The sun fades.

Grey Cloud Giants pass

overhead.

Rain begins.

I run for cover, my books

dry under my shirt.


IV

Cloud Giants

clash high above me.

Light spears fly.

Thunder rolls.

Angry, they toss stones of ice

and blow frozen breath.


©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved


#tankatuesdayweeklypoetryprompt #tankatuesdayno314 #syllabicpoetry #syllabicpoems #shadorma #shadormapoem #shadormapoetry #naturepoetry #springpoems #springpoetry #naturepoems #cloudpoetry #cloudpoem 


Comments

  1. Great poems! Giants is definitely two syllables. I have found the syllable checker to make small errors such as this as well. I love your "light spears fly" line! Very clever!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine someone I know from Texas saying "g'ants" in one syllable! Like "graham" becomes "gram." Thank you for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. Lisa, these shadorma are fabulous. I really enjoyed your use of the words provided and how everything came together for a story poem. Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments. I wasn't sure I wanted to give shadorma a try at first. I'd only written two before this.

      Delete
  3. The clouds move across the sky like your shadorma move down the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for saving the books! 😁

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the movement in time and weather through this sequence. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan