Looks Can be Deceiving

 Simply 6 Minutes

110 words, unfinished

Oh, I had so much more to say about these cute little guys than six minutes allowed!

photo prompt


     You don’t fool me, little raccoon!  Looking so cute and pleading to be scooped up!  I know raccoons, and you only look innocent and cuddly.   

     Take a look at those claws of yours, claws capable of ripping open the belly of a dog that makes the mistake of cornering you in a suburban garage. 

     I’ve seen raccoons chase people, and you can run 15 mph!     You pull chickens out of their coops, ripping them right through the wires.   

     I’ve seen ignorant families with baby raccoons in pet carriers, as I learned the futility of convincing pet store employees not to fuss and coo, as you are illegal pets here. 

     You also carry rabies!

 

  ©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Yeah, it sounds like it probably had rabies. Raccoons are one of the most common carriers, along with skunks, bats, and dogs. Since raccoons, skunks, and bats are all nocturnal, when we see them in daytime they are probably sick. I am surprised Animal Control didn't contact you to make sure no one, or no pets, had been in contact, but maybe you had already told them "no." It's true I worked in a pet store and I wanted employees to ignore the people with raccoons in carriers, not to encourage them and "oooh" and "ahhh." Cute, but illegal (in Oregon) pets, and dangerous wild animals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan