The Little Red Riding Coat
Poets and Storytellers United
Friday Writings #244: If the Glass Slipper Fits
For this week's optional prompt I'd like you to write something from the point of view of a fairy tale character.
![]() |
| image |
Oma made me a coat
of red wool.
With a hood.
She said it was for her “little Mäuschen.”
She called it a riding coat,
yet I don't have a pony.
I sure would like a pony though.
Papa says “No, meine Schatzchen, no pony.”
I tried to convince him my pastry deliveries
would be ever so much quicker on ponyback,
but no.
It’s not fair.
Papa says kinder always say things aren’t fair
and to “Live with it.”
As for my coat?
Oma doesn’t know me at all.
I hate hoods.
Wool makes me itch.
And I don’t even like red.
I hope I outgrow it soon.
©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Beautifully written and so many hints at what will become of her - unless the story can be re-told! Jae
ReplyDeletePoor Ole Oma going to all that trouble to make that coat Forget little Mauschen. Little trou de cul is a better name:)
ReplyDeleteOh, dear... I translated that! I hope Oma only thinks it, not voices it aloud!
DeleteYour poem reminds me of the Red Riding Hood.
ReplyDeleteI think wool is scratchy too, Little Red Riding Hood. And she could outrun the wolves faster on a pony than on her own.
ReplyDeleteGreat take on Little Red Riding Hood :)
ReplyDelete