Cold Memories - Two for dVerse
dVerse Poetics: Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Prompt from Li(sa): Your challenge for today, if you choose to accept it, is to choose... your way with the weather. Use it as a framework. Or a metaphor. Or as a vehicle to get you where your muse wants to go. Any form or length is fine. I would love to see someone take a favorite weather song and pay tribute to its lyrics or melody. Please put attribution on your page if you choose that path. I’m very much looking forward to reading your poems.
And it's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain
A Golden Shovel is an invented form, created by Terrance Hayes. It is written by taking a line or lines from an existing poem and using each word as end words in your poem. The words are kept in order. Credit is always given.
A Cold November
Autumn comes, and
once again it’s
hit me hard.
My daily struggle: to
carry on, to hold
my tears, to smile. A
spice scented candle,
a puddle on the counter in
a once shared kitchen, the
wax now as cold
as the November
night you died alone in the rain.
©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved
My second is from Eurythmics' Here Comes the Rain Again, where I
took inspiration from the line:
Here comes the rain again falling on my head like a memory
Memories
It was raining
the day you died.
The phones were dead.
A squirrel had chewed through the lines.
I wonder if the squirrel died too,
free-falling to the wet sidewalk,
as I did to the floor?
©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved
A triple sad poem
ReplyDeleteMuch love
Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteA mood, perfectly captured... grief in all its forms can be so poetically inspiring...
ReplyDeletePoignant to see the sorrow linked through song and through poetry built upon them. Creative use of the prompt, Lisa.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully executed I do love a Golden Shovel poem 💜
ReplyDeleteSo sad... and the way the rain gets through it acts like tears
ReplyDelete