Steps of Bone
Poets and Storytellers United
Friday Writings #239: Down to the Bone
Friday Writings #239: Down to the Bone
Prompt words for The Sunday Whirl in red.
Coincidentally, Friday Writings this week has a bone prompt too!
🦴
In desolate temples
of the underworld,
spiral steps of bone weave
deep…
deep…
deeper
into the pit.
Sparks dance,
fireflies of the abyss,
reflected in the dark
current of Cocytus.
Choose.
Follow the voices.
Follow the screams.
Or, turn.
Ascend the steps of bone
while you still can.
©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

I still can but my bones protest mightily. Good use of the words.
ReplyDeleteHa... I agree!!
DeleteI followed the descent into the depths, and now I fear this poem will linger and haunt me for some time.
ReplyDeleteThe poem reads like a ritual dance. Entrancing...hypnotic....yet a little scary
ReplyDelete...while you still can 👍
ReplyDeleteI love the atmosphere and the story-telling! Jae
ReplyDeleteYou've painted a vivid picture with those words. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteYour words have me reflecting on human and animal remains alike, not only in underworld pits but mountains of bones in the upper world.
ReplyDeleteYikes!
ReplyDeleteI think Google may have fixed something, anyway...
Great images in this!
ReplyDeleteHere I am, following you onto the dance floor ~~~ because I still can!!! Cheers, really enjoyed your poem.
ReplyDelete