24 Seasons: Risshun (The Beginning of Spring) No. 21

  24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, No. 21

The Beginning of Spring (February 3 – 20) Risshun 立

"... write a poem using one of the 24 forms—your choice. Choose a kigo word or phrase from the seasonal kigo list on the post. Or you can select from the Winter and Early Spring categories (Yuki Teikei Haiku Society) or select from the kigo word list links below. Share your kigo word on your post."

My choice from the 24 forms is a mondo.  My kigo phrases are "lingering cold," "crisp weather," and a rewording of "remaining snow."  Peas do get planted in February here in Southern Oregon.

Why are you planting

seeds in the lingering cold

while snow remains in the shade?


Crisp weather sowing

is just right for the snap peas 

you love so well in stir-fry.

©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved 


#tankatuesday #kigo #tankatuesdaypoetrychallenge #tankatuesday24seasons #mondopoem #mondo #tanka #syllabicpoetry 

Comments

  1. I love this! This is also only the second mondo I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the third I've ever written! My first was for M in http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/ when I did A to Z of Poetry Forms in 2021. The second was another of the 24 Seasons!

      Delete
  2. Those cold weather crops bring an early spring green. I love snap peas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap peas may be my favorite vegetable I grow!

      Delete
  3. Not a fan a peas, but I do love your poem, Lisa! Well done!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mondo form and your poem is perfect! I love pea pods, too. Happy planting, Lisa. 🫛

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Lisa. Our temps are too variable right now, but I'm looking forward to planting peas as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan