24 Seasons: Risshun (The Beginning of Spring) No. 20

 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, No. 20

The Beginning of Spring (February 3 – 20) Risshun 立

"...choose a kigo word or phrase from the seasonal kigo list on the post, or you can choose from the Winter and Early Spring categories (Yuki Teikei Haiku Society) on the kigo word list links below.  Share your kigo word in your post."

I chose, for a tanka and a haiku, "shallow spring," "lingering cold," "cats in love," and a take on "plum blossoms," using plum buds, as my plum blossoms (actually a pluot) are only buds at this point.  The cats have been "in love" outside the windows in the night for the past week.

this pale shallow spring

flowering quince disregards

the lingering cold

plum buds swollen with promise

outside my frosted windows

cats in love shrieking

nocturnes - shadows under dim

shallow spring moonlight


©2024 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved 

#tankatuesday #kigo #tankatuesdaypoetrychallenge #tankatuesday24seasons #japanesepoetryform #haiku #tanka #syllabicpoetry 





Comments

  1. Fabulous capture of the beginning of spring. Are these buds bursting forth now where you live? I love the colors. I had a good chuckle about the cats. My two girls have been play-fighting. I think they feel the call of the seasons too! LOL! 🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I took those photos today. I hope the cats we hear outside are not any of the strays I feed on our carport! I do NOT need to deal with kittens!

      Delete
  2. The flowering quince are such a pretty shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is anything else near their color.

      Delete
  3. I love the contrast between the beautiful blossoms and the shrieking cats! LOL! There is nothing beautiful about shrieking cats. You make me laugh. Great poems, Lisa!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Jules from Tanka Tuesday) My silver maples leaf buds are opening! And Daff spears have broken ground. I think even with the clouds all day the warmth in the 60's is moving spring along :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan