Home

 Poets and Storytellers United

Friday Writings #96

The prompt for this week: Do you too find that your sensual memories of the place you grew up in, when sparked, arouse that kind of nostalgia, at once sharp and comforting? Or did you perhaps live somewhere you couldn’t wait to get away from, to find a more nurturing home elsewhere?

I took the prompt a different direction.  I'd love to be nostalgic for my childhood home, where I lived from age 2 until 18, and was only sold after my mother died when I was over 50.  However, the house was remodeled into non-recognition, the yard my father spend decades landscaping (growing much from seed in his lath house, using home made compost before everyone was making compost) bulldozed to flatness.  I can be nostalgic for the old downtown of my youth, but we're talking San Francisco East Bay suburb and progress was inevitable to make it the up-scale community it is now, so all those stores are gone.  I left in 2011 and have never gone back.

Conjuring up "Home" is what my home is to me now.  Nothing nostalgic, just a large dose of comfort. 

detail of painting in author's collection

Home.

Where I don’t have to answer the door if I don’t want to.

Home.

Where I can stay braless all day if I choose.

Home.

Where my favorite person is my dog.

Home.

Where I won't vacuum if I don’t feel like it.

Home.

Where I hang the art I like no matter how bad.

Home.

Where my front door can be the only bright blue one around.

Home.

Where my bed doesn’t have to be made.

Home.

Where I can eat cake for breakfast and oatmeal for dinner.

Home

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#poetsandstorytellersunited #fridaywritings #poetryprompt #poetryabouthome #freeverse #homepoem #whatishome #whatdoeshomemeantoyou


Comments

  1. I love the paintings (blue door included), and every on of your quirky snapshots which illustrate 'Home' to perfection, as far as I can see. LOL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree those are what make a home comfortable!

      Delete
  2. Lovely Your poem connects home with a sense of freedom and that is right. A place where you can be yourself and make your own decisions. Love the painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have no one to answer to, and while I do enjoy that, I do miss my late husband. I still did pretty much what I wanted, since I never wanted to do anything too out there!

      Delete
  3. Home is freedom and comfort expressed so well in your poem..........Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, freedom is most important. Otherwise I don't think you could be comfortable, you'd be on edge.

      Delete
  4. I love the painting too.

    And if I substitute cat for dog and swap the blue door for a sign in the front window telling the world, 'Fairies live here', then your present home is just like mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two cats too. I love them to pieces and they are spoiled rotten. They showed up and moved in. So, I have cats, but consider myself a dog person. I thought the one before this would be my last, but I only stood it for six weeks before getting Mickey! Most of my artwork is thrifted (and some is really nice and known artists), but that one I bought as a present to myself with tax refund money, back when I worked. Plein Air early California.

      Delete
  5. Perfect home! I especially like number 2. As a matter of fact......ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I understand it's now okay to never wear one, but at my age, I don't go out in public, even to the mailbox, unless it's dark!

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking you are living alone and don't have to please anyone else besides your self. I too left home, at age 17 and never came back to live. We too sold it when my widower dad died. The new owners bulldozed it down and burned the pile.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite alone, my youngest, a son, lives with me. Still, I do what I want! No one to answer to is freeing!

      Delete
  7. Home is freedom, isn't it? Home is still the best.
    Like the painting you did. I used to dabble in oils but have switched to pencil sketching. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't paint that. I don't paint. My father did and I have some of his. I work in pastels. Or, used to, it's been a while.

      Delete
  8. The comfort and ease of our own little sanctuary.... and I love your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home sounds so much like mine (without the dog).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan