The Shepherd Boy

 Poets and Storytellers United

Friday Writings #75

"... take a well-known myth or fable and write as one of the main characters (not necessarily retelling their story so much as inhabiting their skin).  And tell us who; please don't make us guess!"

You won't need to guess, mine is obvious.  A bit too obvious. *see below for who this is

Illustration from Stories That Never Grow Old, edited by Watty Piper, ©1938 by The Platt & Munk Co, Inc. N.Y.


This job is so boring.

So boring, this job.

Most of the day,

I sit by the hob.

 

Watching those damn,

woolly dumb beasts,

a job that more suits,

the dull mind of the priests.

 

No, I am more worthy

than just Shepherd Boy.

One day I prove it

with some clever ploy.


©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

*The Shepherd Boy is from The Boy Who Cried Wolf, an Aesop's Fable.  It's the origin of our expression "to cry wolf" when giving false alarm.

Comments

  1. I like the poem and the illustration – and, it's probably to do with nationality, but I have never heard of this character before. But as you do name him, I can try to look up his story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I thought I was too obvious! It's The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I am not Anonymous, I am Lisa! I am on my phone, which won't recognize I AM signed in to Google and keeps prompting me to sign in to Google! Now, I go approve my own comment. 🙄

      Delete
  2. i love books with old artwork - and your poem certainly sets up the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boy might be bored but my mind is going to the fate of those poor sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Now I'm all curious about the ploy... 😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan