Taradiddle

 Mindlovemisery's Menagerie

Wordle #321

Prompt words in red. 

My donkey?  You ask why she’s named Taradiddle.  Well, that’s a story for ya! 

First, a donkey should be capable and strong, providing significant help on the farm.  Be an impactful animal, if you want to put it that way. Be useful.  Earn its keep, if you will.   

As you know, I’ve always kept donkeys, and their dedication to the task at hand was nothing to sneeze at!  It was a slam-dunk with those fellas.  And gals.  I always kept a combination of the two, Jacks and Jennies.  At current, I’ve just Taradiddle.

Now, Tara, which is what I call her for short, is different.  I’m flummoxed by her.  She’s not one of my own, born and bred on the farm.  No, I ordered her special like, on account of her being an ancestor of Balaam’s talking donkey.  Now, that might have been centuries ago, longer maybe, I’m not so good at history, but they say all his progeny had the gift down to this day!  Not Tara.  Oh, she brays, and sometimes I can just make out some kind of nonsense.  I think she likes pretending she can’t talk plain.  Maybe letting her mingle with the common livestock, makes her lazy of tongue.  After all, have you ever heard a well-spoken sheep?  The definition of a dumb animal, that’s what sheep are.  And don’t get me started on the cows.   Moooo! 

It’s frustratin’. I paid near to $10,000 for Tara.  Made payments over the span of two years, I did.  Figured I’d double my money right quick with one of them roadside attractions.

COME HEAR THE TALKING DONKEY!  DIRECT DECENDANT OF BALAAM'S ASS!

Like that, see.  Now, the wife said I shouldn’t put “ass,” but that’s what they’re called in the Good Book, so that’s that!

There you have it.  Taradiddle.  The lazy donkey that nearly cost me the farm.  She’s for sale if you’re interested.  $20,000 should do it. 

No, I can’t get a refund.  She was the very last of the Balaam donkeys and the seller closed shop.  I guess that make her all the more valuable.  Let’s say $30,000, since you’re my cousin. 

Cash.

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#mindlovemiserysmenagerie #weeklywordle #wordprompt #creativewriting #donkeystory #taradiddlethedonkey #taradiddle #theversesmith 


Comments

  1. Ha. I loved this story. Made me smile in this early morning still-sleepy dawn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan