The Vernal Pond

Tanka Tuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 311

words: spring and green 


First, a light hearted senryu.


the pear trees blossom

on time, regardless of me

and my novice care 


Then, I've written a YaDu, a Burmese form of climbing (staircase)verse.  YaDu means "seasons," so it should include a seasonal reference, which makes it ideal for the prompt.  

A YaDu is usually written in three or fewer stanzas of 5 lines each.  Lines 1-4 each have 4 syllables, the last line has 5, 7, 9, or 11.  

The staircase rule applies to lines 1-4 with rhymes 

xxxa

xxax

xaxx

xxbc

line 5 ends with a rhyme of c

xxxxxxxxc (in my poem's case of 9 syllables)

(If I mistyped the rules, forgive me and point it out in the comments!)

©Steven Miller
 

the vernal pond 

with fern frond jade

so fond to me 

I bring thee here

to sit, to listen, our minds to clear 

 

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#tankatuesday #yadu #burmesepoetry #syllabicpoetry #synonymsonly #springpoetry 


Comments

  1. This form sounds really interesting. I like how your words came together. The last line is so perfect, Lisa. 💐

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your senryu. It's always nice when the pear blossoms on time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing, Lisa.🥴🤩 -Jude-

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first poem made me chuckle. The second poem was beautiful, Lisa! I've never heard of that form before. I like it.

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poetry. I felt so much peace with the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful poems. What a cool form for the second one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan