Synonyms Only - Two for Tanka Tuesday February 14, 2023

 Tanka Tuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 307


words not to use: change and grow 

I have written two, as change can be taken more than one way. 

This first is a Kelly Lune, syllable count of 5/3/5, invented by Robert Kelly.  Jack Collom later introduced the word count 5/3/5 Lune.


Coins in my pocket.

So few, yet

saved may multiply. 


This second is a zappai, 5/7/5.


Make a difference.

Cultivate kindness to all

in abounding love.

 

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved
#tankatuesdayno307 #syllabicpoetry #kellylune #zappai #synonymsonly #tankatuesdaypoetrychallenge #tankatuesdayweeklypoetrychallenge 


Comments

  1. Hi Lisa. I love both poems and thanks for recognizing your second poem is a zappai. "I've read in Haiku theory..." we shouldn't aspire to write zappai, as they considered inferior poems, even though most Western haiku are considered to be zappai! Whew... I've been reading a few haiku poetry journals. I can't tell what the editors are doing... if those are the best haiku I read, I'd hate to see what they rejected. I think they're looking for a shock factor now... not real haiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pseudo-haiku (as I've heard zappai referred as) needs some name I think! It's a syllabic form, just not following the same "rules" as haiku or senryu. You mentioned not long ago how much of what people are calling "haiku" isn't. Which reminds me, I need to work more on the Pure Haiku submissions. And they MUST be haiku!

      Delete
  2. That was my comment, Lisa. 🤦🏼‍♀️💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is acting stupid again... I couldn't comment on some other bloggers posts on it today at all.

      Delete
  3. I love both poems, Lisa! Well done!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both the poems! Well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the contrast of the two but both equally important

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good job at these. And I learned something new--about "inferior" haiku haha. Absolutely not inferior, but definitely western.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan