The Wind

 Tanka Tuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 297

Reena's choice for this week's specific form is the kouta, a Japanese four-line form. 


New wind chimes tink in the night
louder than by day.
I will have to take them down,
keep neighborhood peace.

The neighbor's dog barks again,
to hear its own voice.
To its owner my wind chimes
tink to wake the dead.

I'd rather hear the chiming
than wee hour woofing.
Nestled in warm patchwork, it's
the wind's own music.

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#tankatuesday #poetryform #koutapoem #kouta #syllabicpoetry #syllabicpoem #fourlinepoetryform #fourlinepoem #japanesepoetryform #japanesepoetry #wirtingprompt #poetryprompt

Comments

  1. Lisa, this is so vivid. I love wind chimes, but they can be loud... although your's sounds so lovely. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I moved in some wind chimes were left in a tree, and I often wondered if the neighbors on that side heard them, as their bedroom is in the back. It wouldn't bother me to hear wind chimes.

      Delete
  2. Love this. I had to take down mine too. November came with gusts that maddened me with the relentless sounds that sent alarm bells instead of peace. So I can relate here. But a dog barking would send me madder. Thanks for sharing. Xoxo Selma Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, in a wind storm they are angry sounding!

      Delete
  3. I love how these play off each other. I've had experience with both the chimes and the woofing.. haven't heard them recently. I guess they worked it out😊. A nice write!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the dogs nearby was barking a lot around 1:00am the other night. It went on and one, then I guess they took it inside, but I could still hear it barking! I think the neighbors are used to the windchimes.

      Delete
  4. Your windchimes inspire the dog to hear its own voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could very well be true! My own do isn't a barker. He isn't left outside either (short times when I'm in the house, but not like the neighbor's dogs), so when he does bark I know it's at something.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan