When I Was Very Young

 Friday Writings #30:

Beloved Books 

There are not many things I love more than books!

books in my collection and original to my childhood


When We (I) Was Very Young

my father read to me

fairy tales and poetry

 

of Edward Bear,

and what was that “ther

that he’d refer.

 

I longed to hear

the further rhymes,

of other volumes, other times.

 

I had to wait,

so wait I did.

It was not unkind, what he forbid.

 

At only five,

I was too young,

for more mature words on his tongue.

 

At  long last I would declare,

my childhood was past,

Now I Am Six,” at last!


©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

 

A true story of two of the most memorable childhood books read to me by my father.   When We Were Very Young, and Now We Are Six, both volumes of poetry by A. A. Milne.   Yes, I did wait until I was six to hear the poems in that book, and it was all the more special being the "right" age!  

Younger readers take note, this is NOT the Disney Pooh!  And, much to my dismay (and strong belief that copyright laws need to be changed), Winnie the Pooh and his friends are now in public domain, with the exception of Tigger, who came on the scene later, and has a few more protected years.

 

 

Comments

  1. Those are lovely memories of a book lovers childhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate to have a book loving father! My mother took me to the library, but it was my father who read to me.

      Delete
  2. I got goosebumps reading this glimpse into a magical and innocent time. My father used to sing us nursery rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had wonderful, involved fathers!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm not Anonymous on this blog, but am on the gardening one. Maybe that's a sign they're working on the problem?

      Delete
    2. Now, it says that comment will appear after approval, when the others show "Lisa."

      Delete
  4. You have such happy reading childhood memories. Thanks for sharing

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I too had both of those when I was a young child, and my Dad used to read to me from them. (Winnie came a bit later.) Thanks for sparking some fond memories! (For some reason I especially loved declaiming, 'James James Morrison Morrison / Weatherby George Dupree' ... ' "You must never go down to the end of the town / Without consulting me" '.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes! I can recite much of that one myself! It was always a favorite. The poems, and even the Pooh books are so wonderful, not just for children.

      Delete
  6. I didn't get read to as a child - would have loved that but I developed a love for reading anyway. I didn't discover Winnie the Pooh till I was old but how I love him, I always say "Oh, bother"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you missed that in childhood, but very glad you didn't grow into a non-reader, and fond them on your own. Winnie the Pooh isn't just for children, is it? So much cleverness there for adults too.

      Delete
  7. I was 16 or 17 when I was first introduced to Pooh, Christopher Robin, and all. I don’t think I would’ve appreciated the characters and their adventures when I was much younger. I still have my Pooh and poetry books that I bought so happily in used bookstores once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan