The Monster in the Closet

 Friday Writings #14: Monster Madness!

optional prompt: "...the idea of monsters, either a specific one or monsters in general..."

 

The monster in the closet

is out again.

Roaring up the hall,

ravenous.

The cats scatter

and hide under the bed.

The dog barks,

then snaps at him. 

The monster in the closet

is yellow

and has a long grey tail,

like a rat’s.

His name is Dyson,

which is not a proper monster name.

Monster names are fearsome,

ogre-ish and brute. 

Still, he’s a monster,

loud and aggressive.

 

Grab his tail!

Wind it up!

Shove him back where he belongs!

Start the eviction process!

 

The monster sleeps in his closet

with the coats

and the board games

and a yard stick.

I wonder if he plays Clue

with the Dust Bunnies?

He doesn’t seem to eat them.

 

Don’t let him out on accident

when reaching for a jacket!

Watch your fingers! 

Guard your feet!

 

The monster in the closet

is waiting to pounce.

Next time I’ll be ready

to pounce right back.

 

As soon as I get out from under the bed.


©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

DYSON

This is Dyson.  I began this silly poem several years ago, when my then dog, Boo, would bark and snap and actually bite the front of the vacuum as I used it.  Now, I have Mickey, who is scared to death of it.  He knows the step after dusting is vacuuming, and starts pacing the house in a frenzy.  After Dyson is back in his closet, I have to sit on the sofa next to Mickey to calm him.  He has some trauma from his previous (7 weeks to 4 months when he was "returned" to the shelter due to them not liking the litter's DNA results) home.  The prompt of monsters brought this poem back to my mind!


 #fridaywritings #poetsandstorytellersunited

Comments

  1. My present cat is profoundly deaf – which means that, unlike some of her predecessors, she does no fear the vacuum cleaner (nor thunderstorms).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably nice whenever there are fireworks or the like. Then again, it must be a challenge for you to let her know you're there so she doesn't startle.

      Delete
  2. PS And, oh, so nice to read a light-hearted response to this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't want "monster" is to be too much real life boogeymen type.

      Delete
  3. Reasons we don't keep pets anymore ? Much too old to hide under the bed, closets as well.
    I love this, our Dyson hides in our closet too. We went cheap, I guess, as he doesn't have a yellow hood or cape.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My newer one, which I got at a garage sale for $20, is mostly white. They sure are good monsters!

      Delete
  4. OMG I cannot stop laughing .. monster indeed! This is perfect poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Using him is stressful since I know the pets are upset. You'd think they'd get used to it.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Helen. I laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes. I can imagine your dog (and mine too) freaking out at the sound of the monster.

    Love the descriptions. So much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan