The Kite

 Friday Writings #15: "After" Another

...re-read a favourite piece of writing, which may be poetry or prose, allow yourself to be inspired by it and share the results with us. We would also like to know, please, ‘after’ whom, or ‘after reading’ what – even if you are working in prose...”*

 

You’ve slipped from my memory

like a kite with a broken string,

     I was left holding on to nothing.

 

I watched as the kite

rose higher,

higher,

higher still.

 

Growing ever

smaller,

smaller,

smaller yet.

 

A speck of coral,

fading into the vast summer sky,

     until even that was gone.

 

If I squint my eyes just so,

I imagine I can see you still.

 

But, like the kite,

     you’re memory is just out of reach.

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

* Inspired by A Christmas Memory, by Truman Capote.  I've referred to this short story in the past, and probably will refer to it again.  My favorite passage is at the end, when the story moves into the current day of the narrator. SPOILER!   The last paragraph, in part, reads, "...severing from me an irreplaceable part of myself, letting it loose like a kite on a broken string.  That is why, walking across a school campus on this particular December morning, I keep searching the sky.  As if I expected to see, rather like hearts, a lost pair of kites hurrying toward heaven." 

#fridaywritings #poetsandstorytellersunited #freeversepoetry

 

Comments

  1. Oh, now I'll have to find and read that story. (I like his writing very much, but haven't discovered that one before.) The ending you quote is beautiful. Your poem is absolutely gorgeous too, and can stand well on its own. Yet it is even more special to know the source. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A Christmas Memory may be my favorite piece of writing ever. I can't read that ending without tears. I added a spoiler alert, which I didn't think of until you posted this. Sorry for putting the ending, although, out of context it doesn't give anything away.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is gorgeous and expresses the quote so well. Now I want to go back and reread the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oh, do read the story again! And again, and again!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Wonderfully inspired. Happy Friday

    Much🖤lovr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. The inspiration is an amazing short story. To think my local library branch has NO Capote on the shelf!

      Delete
  5. Your inspiration is so delicately drawn from the quote from the book. Capote would be so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Those are very kind words.

      Delete
  6. It is difficult, indeed, to watch one's beloved slipping away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then to realize you are forgetting. Forgetting their voice, or smell, or even how they looked.

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful, Lisa. I will have to read that short story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan