Only a Fruit

Tanka Tuesday #259

haibun idyll  

Friday Writings #12: Colour - or the Absence of Colour

If the trip didn’t do you in, we could paint the town red, maybe talk about the old days.  I’m just so tickled pink to see you again!  Perhaps as a blue blood, born to the purple, you’re used to white washing all those grey areas I am just dying to discuss.   As the black sheep of the family, I’ve always been more yellow-bellied, so I’ll be green with envy at hearing your exploits!  Oh, please don’t be in such a brown study… here, have a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice.   

alas, poor orange

no rhymes nor adages for you

solitary hue

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

https://www.pexels.com/photo/food-healthy-orange-white-42059/

There is actually one perfect rhyme for orange, sporange.  According to The Free Dictionary, sporange is "A single-celled or many-celled structure in which spores are produced, especially in fungi, algae, mosses, and ferns."

I must apologize for the unintentional rhyme in the haiku.  I changed the "for you" to start the line, but didn't like it that way.  Since it is a light-hearted piece, not a "true haiku," I decided to just let it rhyme. 😊

I also will mention, it seems as though line 3 would have more than 7 syllables, but the counter on Soda Coffee shows 7.  I enjoy using that counter, I often compose my poems right there!

#tankatuesday #tastetherainbow #poetry challenge no.259  #tastetherainbow-color poetry


Comments

  1. This is so well written and clever, Versesmith! *chuckling*

    Sincerely,
    David [ben Alexander]
    http://skepticskaddish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this trip through the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Lisa! I loved how you incorporated the various meanings behind the colors. Very cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That was the fun part. There are so many color expressions.

      Delete
  4. I love your poem, Lisa. Impressive use of color. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I enjoyed working on all the different expression with colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of sporange. It sounds a bit like sponge and has me thinking of many almost rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until now either. I always heard that there was no rhyme for orange. Still a bit true, as who knows the word "sporange!" It sounds pretend, made up to rhyme.

      Delete
  7. Well this is incredibly clever ... and quite entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and very clever little ditty. Too bad about orange. Orangoo sorry about that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the play on words and colors. And I so understand the speaker--I think, must of us have been there at some point or another. Black sheep of the world, unite!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hear it for the black sheep! Of course, the one here is the yellow-belly, but black sheep in general? I think they are the ones to get things done, in new ways, daring to be different and look at things in a different way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan