Chapter XLIV : In Which Piglet Reaches His Breaking Point

 Friday Writings #5: A Second(ary) Look

"...craft your pieces from the point of view of a secondary character in a story (book, TV show, movie, etc.)"

httpswww.flickr.comphotosemjayknits2863536618
 

Oh, Pooh,

my friend.

Oh, Edward Bear,*

you of little brain.

So stuffed with fluff,

and tubby,

who stands out in the rain.

 

Why, oh, why

are you the star,

the one the ballads praise,

for getting stuck in rabbit’s door,

too fat to move for days?

 

While I, a pig

of stature small,

am pegged forever more

as “Friend of Pooh,”

(although that’s true)

I am an afterthought.

 

To tell the truth,

you put on airs,

for instance with your “ther.”*

As though the forest should bow down

to one with honey in his fur.

 

I play my part

as loyal friend,

but when the evening comes,

a teeny tiny voodoo bear

gets pins poked in the tums.

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

 

*Winnie the Pooh, by A. A. Milne, begins with this introduction. 

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps there isn’t. Anyhow, here he is at the bottom, and ready to be introduced to you. Winnie-the-Pooh.

When I first heard his name, I said, just as you are going to say, ‘But I thought he was a boy?’

‘So did I,’ said Christopher Robin.

‘Then you can’t call him Winnie?’

‘I don’t.’

‘But you said –’

‘He’s Winnie-ther-Pooh. Don’t you know what “ther” means?’

‘Ah, yes, now I do,’ I said quickly; and I hope you do too, because it is all the explanation you are going to get."

And that there "ther" separates the Book Pooh People from the Disney Pooh People! 

Comments

  1. Goodness me! I have always loved Piglet, but would never have suspected him of the voodooo pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither would I. He's so mild and soft-spoken, but then, still waters run deep.

      Delete
    2. *Evil grin.* He may be a Scorpio (like me).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I only knew one person in high school who knew it was Winnie ther Pooh! Then during the same time there was a band called Edward Bear that had a hit song.

      Delete
  3. LOL.. this was great... this prompt has brought out such fun takes of popular tales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL voodoo pin!!! Really

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piglet isn't one to come right out and be rude. He can't very well say, "Pooh, you're a big swelled headed faker."

      Delete
  5. Aw, I don't think Piglet would ever poke Pooh. This must be Piglet's evil twin. Which leaves me wondering what he did with Piglet.
    Anyway, it's okay to be fat. Pooh and I think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know just how much before a piglet's had enough! The straw that broke the piglet's back, or something like that.
      Yes, it's okay to be fat. Maybe not so much that you stick in other people's doorways though.

      Delete
  6. That is deliciously clever and such fun to read. Wonderful humorous rouches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always suspected Piglet was a good crafter. I bet he knits his own scarves, too. And then, in the dark, after some long hours thinking about Pooh eating all the honey, the pins are repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! I can easily see Piglet knitting!

      Delete
  8. I learned a little of "ther" today and snickered at the thought of piglet with a voodoo bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! Both the learning "ther" and the snickering!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. We'd never have expected Piglet to have a secret life!

      Delete
  10. A little jealous? It a fun and unexpected read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably has good reason to be. It takes a certain type to always be the sidekick.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan