A Wilted Poppy - Six Micropoems

 Friday Writings #6

optional prompt: Go micro! 

Micropoetry.  I found there are quite a few opinions as to the definition of micropoetry.  Some include short poetry forms, haiku for instance.  Others refer to Tweetku or Twitter poetry, which are limited to a 140 character count.  140 characters to me is quite long if we are looking for "micro" works.  Some are written in text abbreviations, something I generally find too hard to make out.  So... I give you a six, a selection of what I would consider "micro" poems.  Some known short forms, others free-verse, and even (shudder) using text!


Essence - two lines, six syllables each, with internal and end rhymes, any number of couplets

 

snow fall began at dawn 

a bird call, twice then gone

 

drifts pile, the east winds moan

all the wild geese have flown

 

❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄    ❄


Dodoistu - 7/7/7/5


Lights are on at eight a. m.

Knowing it’s always darkest

the days before the solstice,

you still curse the day.

 

⛅    ⛅    ⛅    ⛅    ⛅    ⛅    ⛅    ⛅⛅    ⛅    ⛅

 

I broke another bowl today.  My aching aging hands so like my mother's.

 

♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡    ♡


Frost last night

The only bright spot remaining

A wilted poppy

 

🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀    🥀

 

Grey skies again this morning

The holiday lights fade into fog

I go back to bed

 

🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁    🌁 


Translator, Please!

AIR

My </3

And Q_Q

YNK

I was 1NAM

FWIW

ISLY

 

(As I remember

My broken heart

And crying eyes

You never knew

I was one in a million

For what it’s worth

I still love you)

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#micropoetry #micropoem #tweetku #dodoitsu ##essencepoem #

Comments

  1. I like the first one and the last one best. The first one because it does tell a little story, so it is sort of self-contained. The last one because it is clever, although I would never have got it without the translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could have written it without a list of messaging abbreviations!

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank you so much for this vibrant collection!

    I am always delighted to be introduced to new forms. I had not known of Essence or Dodoistu before and will happily add them to my repertoire.

    Ha ha, I certainly needed that translation for the text poem. Very well done, good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That text one just gives me a headache. I don't bother reading things like that. Fortunately, my children (adults) all use correct spelling and grammar for the most part when texting.

      Delete
  3. The bowl. Broken. Mother's hands. I ache for my own mother. (The power of a handful of words. Thank you.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any applause I offer up for these works will not be micro. Well done. I resisted using the translation & did pretty well, though "AIR" had me stumped. Great stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great your could work most of it out. I couldn't have!

      Delete
  5. I used to call them "mutant haiku." It's my kind of poetry. I find the lines almost interchangeable. I like the first one best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun reading, most. I wasn't reading for favorites but I'll vote for dealing with the environment three. Narrow it down to going "back to bed."
    I do that sometimes.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to bed is pretty routine here, it's been so grey for weeks.

      Delete
  7. The first two were marvelous, broken bowl one was lovely ---in fact all were lovely EXCEPT the whatchamacallit which I passed by with great speed! You're amazingly talented. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I DO know that one! If I was posting on my phone I'd include a laughing emoji! Ha! No, I skip that kind of thing too. My kids use regular spelling and grammar texting. Which is how they mostly communicate with me (other than the one at home of course, he talks!). Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful collection of poetry. I have not heard of Essence or Dodoistu. Essence is an elegant form.
    I like the 'poppy' poem, amazing imagery. The text poem gets me scratching my head, but the 'translation' is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Essence form, and wanted at least one more couplet, but it just didn't come to me. The poppies did wilt a few nights ago, but they recovered.

      Delete
  9. Impossible to pick a favorite but if pressed, I'm partial to wild geese flown, as I can relate to that, my hands turning into my mother's and the darkest days which are upon us now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The broken bowl one left me wondering about the relationship between mother and child. I wonder if the later has been always anxious about growing up to be like the mother. The text one is impressive--thank you for the translation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "Essence" brings on the winter chill. Is it okay to feel sad for the wilted poppy?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan