Night Butterflies

Weekly Scribblings #73

 

 "...for this week, I'd like you to consider either butterflies or moths (or both!) when weaving your words. Although there are obvious similarities the two are not the same."

I thought a Butterfly Cinquain would be appropriate for the prompt!

Southern Purple Mint Moth
 

Moths are

undervalued,

dismissed as “ugly pests,”

that flutter ‘round and flutter ‘round

‘til dead.

The lamp that drew the lifeless moth,

it mistook for the moon.

Icarus of

twilight.

 

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

 

Comments

  1. I so agree with what you say about moths (as you may guess from my own post). And what you say about butterflies is new and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moths have such pretty feathery antenna that butterflies don't. That's one prettier thing about them!

      Delete
  2. Sadly humanity is a poor judge of other creatures unless they eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many do value them for what they can "give" us.

      Delete
  3. I wait for the dead moths to pile up sufficiently, then i sweep them up, crumble their desiccated corpses and, smiling, sprinkle them on the salads of those whom I despise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For reasons that can never be explained, as I read your poem the strains of "The Old Lamplighter" echoed in my brain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our brains connect things in ways we can't figure out!

      Delete
  5. "moon Icarus of twilight" ... what a delightful way to end a delightful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for moths. And if I'm honest, I've never seen them as pests. Where I grew up, finding a moth inside the house was considered good luck. I was so very surprised when someone told me that for their culture, the reverse was true.

    Love the last four lines so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What a nice way to think of moths, as good luck! I think a lot of people only know moths as those beige things that wouldn't leave the outdoor lights alone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan