Appetite for Life

 Weekly Scribblings #72

prompt: "... write poetry or prose which includes one (or all 3) of the following words: unusual, uncommon, uncanny. You are welcomed to choose your own topic, genre, form… But your contribution must include at least one of the words."

https://libreshot.com/canapes/

They call me unusual.

It’s true.

My thoughts are uncommon,

but, what fun is common

in a world

overflowing with as many treats

as there are canapes at a gala?

A nibble of this.

A nibble of that.

Seconds…

and thirds.

A handbag stuffed with all it can hold

of savories and sweets,

of rich juicy bits,

and crumbly leftovers.

I try them all.

There’ll be no regrets when it’s over.

The uncanny thing?

I understand

life’s for the living.

I won’t waste a moment of it

being common. 


Fill your plate,

dig in!  

 

©2021 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. "I understand
    life’s for the living.
    I won’t waste a moment of it
    being common."

    I absolutely love these lines. I'm filling my plate, and digging in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I should take my own poetic advice more often.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, carpe diem. My son lost someone very special to him recently. He thought the person would be around for a long time yet and had things to talk to him about that will never get said. Of course, some of putting things off was out of our hands this past year.

      Delete
  3. Dig in with those uncommon thoughts!

    I may call my next poetry book: Insights of the Modern Monk...under consideration.

    Thanks for visiting Versesmith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you know what I meant, and didn't take that wrong! I just have a vision in my head of "monk" that is so obviously wrong.

      Delete
  4. Nice one. Absolutely crucial reminder in these Covid days.
    Stay at home, write a lot☺

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good idea! I actually don't mind staying at home. I've plenty to do right here, but, I'm not young and eager to get out to socialize!

      Delete
  5. When all else fails have a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May as well, we know we'll enjoy that at least!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this Love the line "I understand life’s for the living." so much truth to it Live your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming idea. 'won’t waste a moment of it

    being common'. a requirement of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan