Hard as Rock: A Quadrille

 Quadrille #255: X marks the spot

Write a poem of exactly 44 words in response to the prompt. Your poem must contain the word xenolith.

image source

Here I am, stuck.

Stuck slap dab in the middle.

Middle of this family.

Family of proverbial mule-stubborn souls.

Souls stuck in stone-set routine.

Routine precise and rigid.

Rigid, each tedious family dinner harder.

Harder than a mantle xenolith.


Both near impossible to break.


©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved  

Comments

  1. I like that your closing line ‘breaks’ from the pattern of using end-of-line words as beginning-of-line words. I recall many of those family dinners.😔

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written Lisa 👏 The repeated words within the lines are somewhat metaphorical in and of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the final line escapes, Lisa, and would want to do the same if I were stuck in ‘stone-set routine’. I haven’t been to a family dinner in a long time, but I can remember one or two like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the final line escapes, Lisa, and would want to do the same if I were stuck in ‘stone-set routine’. I haven’t been to a family dinner in a long time, but I can remember one or two like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...that's suffocation.... beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incompatibility in a family was the first thought that struck me on seeing the word "xenolith."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family dinners seems to be a matter of horror.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good metaphor for rigid family configurations. Family dinners used to be like stepping into a time capsule, where nothing changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great quadrille, Lisa ... but glad most of my family dinners thru the decades have been pleasant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to be not a barnacle

The Iris: A Quadrille

My Summer Song