The Emperor's New Clothes - A Quadrille

 It's Quadrille Monday at dVerse.  

 Pen us a poem of precisely 44 words (not counting the title), including some form of the word puff.

Rather than puffy things, like clouds, puffball fungus, or puffins, I though of those who are puffed up with pride.

THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES

He doesn’t walk,

he struts,

or strutted years ago,

now slowed

and stumbling,

unsure of where he is.

Always proud though.

That hasn’t changed.

If anything it’s grown

with puffery

shouted from the dwindling crowds.

Do we pity?

I don’t.

He pities no one.

©2026 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved  

#dVerse #quadrille #44words#poetryprompt

Comments

  1. I think I have someone in mind that fits this poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - If anything it's grown with puffery - sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I know *exactly* who you are talking about. On another puffed figure, I saw someone apologizing for McConnell's career because he had polio as a kid. No thanks, I don't buy that. So did FDR have polio and look at what he accomplished during his presidency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't want to name it too obvious by calling it The President's New Clothes! I will guess there are some in other countries who see their own "Emperor"! Polio is certainly no excuse for McConnell's viewpoints!

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately it seems there are plenty who don't see the clothes for what they are, but buy the illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening to a podcast recently about the US-China relationships with the Global Majority countries I heard that people in those countries don't bother following news from the US as it is too tiring to try and follow. The more that balloon deflates the more it is tried to be puffed up again. It says a lot about the puffer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I’m struck by how his body grows weaker while his pride grows stronger, and you show that contrast with sharp, powerful skill!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Are the Friends?

Ghost House

to be not a barnacle