Lena in Two - January 27, 2023

Friday Writings prompt: 

"...write poetry or prose inspired by the title of the first book we read, are reading, or will read in 2023."  

The Sunday Muse #243

Photo prompt of a burning house.  I'd written my response to the Friday Writings prompt, then saw this photo prompt for The Sunday Muse.  How could I not use it for a poem inspired by Light in August?  So, I did, and wrote an accompanying haiku.

the burning farm house 

shines brighter even than 

the light in august

©Jocelin Carmes

This August sun scorches,

baking the rutted track beneath my bare feet.

Each dusty step a blistering reminder

of how far I’ve come,

of how far I’ve yet to go.

Only once in a while do

I step into the scarce shade

the droughtdry buckeye

offer on the verge.

Not often, for

I have miles to go before fulldarkness,

and my burden grows heavy

under this August sun.

©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

#inspiredbyfalkner #poetsandstorytellersunited #fridaywritings #freeversepoetry #lightinaugustpoetry #inspiredbylightinaugust #thesundaymuse #photoprompt #poetryprompt 

Comments

  1. I liked your haiku. Excellent. Not easy to write good ones !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Light in August, so I don't know if you are recreating the atmosphere of the book or taking the phrase somewhere new – but it doesn't matter, because I love the way you have brought the scene / experience to life. And how indeed could you resist that haiku for that picture and this prompt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairly true to the book, but it leaves it open to the reader to what leg of Lena's journey I'm alluding to, and which burden she carries. The novel is certainly dated as far as what would be considered "offensive," as would be expected by one set in, and written in, the American South in the 1930's. I first read it in a high school class. I hope anyone familiar with Falkner would recognize I was influenced by his use of original compound words in my poem!

      Delete
  3. The journey does bring baggage that grows heavier with time. This is lovely Lisa and I too love the haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see those compound words. :) An important book and thank heavens for shade, as scarce as it was and still is, in some quarters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly true. Both the importance of the book, and of shade!

      Delete
  5. of how far I’ve come,
    of how far I’ve yet to go.
    Only once in a while do
    I step into the scarce shade

    Love the fact that one is humanly subjected to human strengths and weaknesses all the time. It is a measure of strength in itself. It allows one to fall back a little and reflect and come off stronger. Great writing Lisa!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan