My Dog, Mickey

 Mindlovemisery's Menagerie

Wordle #299 

Prompt words in red. 




     I feel the pressure of his body against my back.  It’s actually rather nice, the warmth pressing right where my back likes the support.  He seems to believe the queen mattress is one big dog bed, and by morning he’ll be in the center, with me on the edge, bound for the floor!

     His previous family adopted him from the shelter as a tiny pup, only to abandon him back a few short months later when his sibling’s DNA showed something they didn’t appreciate.   They didn’t even give him a chance to finish his puppy classes.  I’m his family now.  He’s my family.  You don’t give up on family

    He’s the brave (or timid, depending on his mood) defender of our home.  A staunch protector of the garden from cats hiding in the rosemary, the fragrant needles not fooling him. He smells cat!  Not that he’d harm the neighbor’s cat, he loves cats.  He especially loves shoving his nose into the ears of my housecats.  Boop.  Boop.  Boop.  He leaves the cats' heads covered in lovingly placed licked-on slime.


     There is nothing as heartwarming as his cuddles, his head on my lap, his eyes gazing into mine with love. If he were a human, they’d say he was a thoughtful soul, and his love was heartfelt.  Well, it is!  Even a dog can feel love and affection, devotion and gratitude.  Giving those back to him is the least I can do.

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan