Sorrow Burns Deep

 Whirligig #382

Prompt words in red.

Jim Gateley, CC BY 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons - photo poetic license, it's a Monterey cypress, not pine

 

Sorrow has burned deep

to become a huge charred

spot in my barren chest.

Beneath the Monterey pine,

on the cliff edge far above the shore,

I feel salt from the sea on my thin lips

mingle with the salt of my tears,

the first sensation I've felt in months.

I lift my hands into the air

tossing the ashes into the wind,

letting you fly,

free at last.

 

©2022 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. Really good use of the words. So pleased you kept it short. As a wordle afficionado I prefer the shorter the better as it is more challenging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan