The End of the Pier

Poets and Storytellers United 

 Friday Writings #82: Favorite Books

"...write poetry or prose which includes the complete title of one of your favorite books. And if you’re feeling extra generous, tell me why your chosen title is a favorite."


I sit at The End of the Pier

gazing off into the distance,

to squint past the hazy horizon.

 

There’s nothing to see;

there never has been.

The Pier is the End of the world.

 

I sit at The End of the Pier

alone, no one ever sees me here

to question why I come.

 

I watch the sun as it slowly drowns,

coloring the sea blood-red

 in its death throes.

 

I sit at The End of the Pier

wishing I were sinking with the sun,

longing to

 

 step off the pier,

to walk on moon beams

as they rise from the sun’s ashes.


©2023 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved


The End of the Pier is by Martha Grimes.  If you are familiar with her as the author of the Richard Jury novels, and don't care for them, let me say, the writing in these (a series... sort of) is completely different.  You wouldn't know they were by the same author.  Now, I chose The End of the Pier as one of my favorite books.  It is one of my favorites.   It introduces us to the characters in what is called the "Emma Graham Series,"  Hotel Paradise, Cold Flat Junction, Belle Ruin, and Fadeaway Girl.  I much prefer those to The End of the Pier.  For one, I felt The End of the Pier made a better title to include in a poem than Hotel Paradise.   For two, The End of the Pier isn't really the first in the series.  For some reason it is set in the 1980s, with references to the music and movies of the time, while introducing the characters who appear in the five other novels, which are set decades earlier, perhaps the '40s.  They are much better.  Please, if you read them, read them in order.  A plus to Hotel Paradise in paperback is the cover from Edward Hopper's Hotel Lobby

#poetsandstorytellersunited #fridaywritings #theendofthepier #poetryaboutbooks #fridaywritings82

Comments

  1. Sounds like a nice place for a new experience. I have several memorable experiences. I ate my first corn dog on a pier in San Francisco, as an adult.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people remember the clam chowder in French bread bowls! One of the best foods at county fairs are the corn dogs. Unless they just refry the store ones, which I've seen.

      Delete
  2. A lot of introspection, reflection in this well penned poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it before your comment, however the character in the book who does sit at the end of her pier, does a lot of reflection and introspection there late into the night.

      Delete
  3. OK, the books sound intriguing and I will definitely check them out. (Had not heard of Martha Grimes before.) You have made a very lovely poem to incorporate that title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's most well known for the Richard Jury series of mystery novels. Very good, until the last few (I wonder if someone else is writing them for her, they are not her quality, and quite bad!). In order is best for those too, they refer to previous events. She has some other series too, besides the ones with Emma Graham, which I find fabulous. Different. Not mysteries, yet they are mysterious.
      Thank you for your comment on the poem too!

      Delete
  4. There is a certain fascination with piers, it sits between land and sea, safety and danger, entry and exit. Your lovely poem reminds me of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written. Reads well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan