a cold heart


as autumn arrives in earnest
and nights turn bitter cold
my thoughts would turn to you

it’s as should be
as winter nears
that bleak and barren season

as ice is forming on the pond
a protective winter cover
is sealing off my heart

winter numbs
for which I’m grateful
heart’s pain is hard to bear

though,
I’d choose this frigid season
over any other

too cruel to see the spring
(when seen alone)
with tulips on our hill

shared summer days
would rather be forgotten
than in memory of one

alone

so, welcome autumn
usher in the cold
drive out the light
the warm
the happy days

sitting by the fire
I’ll pretend to be alright
if anyone should ask




  ©2019 Lisa Smith Nelson. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled Golden Shovel

Untitled - a Waltmarie

The Morrigan